|Leonard, Kenya director, is coming to the U.S.! If you would like to see host him for a meal or event email firstname.lastname@example.org|
- Safety — Since the terrorist attack at the Westgate Mall in Nairobi, Mombasa has experienced several attacks on churches, mosques, pastors, and Muslim clerics.
- Transportation — Since the creation of new government regulations causing transportation issues for much of the country, matatus and buses (public transportation) are on strike. The families we support rely on this kind of transportation to get to school and to get medical services.
- More on strikes here
- Health — Our Kenya director, Leonard Mbonani, has had some health issues
- Visits — We are in the process of planning for our Kenya director and our vice chairman to visit the U.S. (May 8ththrough 24th). They will be visiting American special needs facilities, donors, and churches. Visas and arrangements are in process. Email email@example.com you are interested in meeting with them while they are here.
- Volunteer trip — We are going forward with plans for a June/July volunteer trip to Kenya (16 Americans). Our Kenyan board says they believe it is safe for us…though there are never guarantees. We will be taking extra precautions such as avoiding Mombasa (72 miles from our activities) and hiring extra security for the place where we will be staying.
As we try to figure out the best way forward with all of these issues in mind, it is easy to become overwhelmed. However I keep “hearing” the last part of John 16:33: “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”